Saturday, August 05, 2006

FSV Mainz 5 - 0 Liverpool

I know my first post on here was about friendlies being meaningless, but the team didn't need to take me so seriously!

Truthfully though, all the signs are that the squad have been training very hard and heavy legs got the better of us as much as the opposition (who are weeks ahead of us in their fitness schedule), combined with a flurry of substitutions in the second half.

I'm off away for the weekend so I'm not going to think about footie until Monday, then I'll be looking forward to Wednesdays CL qualifying game against Maccabi Haifa which will be our first real test of the season.

Before I go though, I'll just mention the last time we lost 5-0, which was in a pre-season friendly in '95 against Ajax in Moenchengladbach.

Our best league result that season was 6-0, and our worst defeat was 2-1, with Robbie Fowler scoring 28 goals. I wouldn't mind a repeat of those stats, although we'll hopefully finish better than the third place we managed that season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home